Friday, April 16, 2010

You Can Pray Very Simply

So, on Wednesday evening I began a new study on prayer with some women at church.  My friend, Vanessa, who wrote the article, "Coffee Meditations" that I posted on here a week ago, wrote and is teaching this study on prayer.  Even the introduction night was great with the scripture she pulled out and had us read and discuss.  (Matthew 14:22-33, Mark 9:14-27, Luke 7:1-10, and Luke7:11-17)  She asked us to read and discuss the following questions:
  1. Who was praying?
  2. What do they say in their prayer?
  3. Why?
  4. What is the answer to the prayer?
  5. This interaction says something about God's character.  What did we learn from this prayer and its answer?
I think for me the most profound passage was Luke 7:11-17.  This one seems to not have anyone praying, yet Jesus' "heart went out to her" and He performs a miracle.  Why that is profound to me is that it is a reminder that He knows our hearts and loves us and will speak to the longings of our hearts; answer unspoken/unspeakable requests of the heart. 

Vanessa talked about all the books and lists and methods of praying that are available, but like me, she is advocating simply going to God as we are, where we are, without methodology.  It was good to hear her talk about that and even better to read about it in Scripture, because I sometimes wonder if our circumstances wouldn't be better if I knew how to pray better.  I'm so glad that God just meets me where I am.  I'm so glad that having a relationship with Him and seeking His face are more important to Him than me being able to get this prayer thing "right". 

So, when I did the first day's homework and we were reading the "Lord's Prayer" from Matthew 6, I decided to read from my new parallel Bible (NASB & Message).  When I read the Message version I was releived and heartened at the smiplicity.  I post it here for you to read:

Matthew 6:5-13  (MSG)
"And when you come before God, don't turn that into a theatrical production either. All these people making a regular show out of their prayers, hoping for stardom! Do you think God sits in a box seat?

"Here's what I want you to do: Find a quiet, secluded place so you won't be tempted to role-play before God. Just be there as simply and honestly as you can manage. The focus will shift from you to God, and you will begin to sense his grace.
"The world is full of so-called prayer warriors who are prayer-ignorant. They're full of formulas and programs and advice, peddling techniques for getting what you want from God. Don't fall for that nonsense. This is your Father you are dealing with, and he knows better than you what you need. With a God like this loving you, you can pray very simply. Like this:

Our Father in heaven,
Reveal who you are.
Set the world right;
Do what's best— as above, so below.
Keep us alive with three square meals.
Keep us forgiven with you and forgiving others.
Keep us safe from ourselves and the Devil.
You're in charge!
You can do anything you want!
You're ablaze in beauty!
Yes. Yes. Yes.

(I don't read the Message exclusively.  Actually, it's the last place I usually go, but I am finding that sometimes it breaks it down (the language, that is) into such simpler terms that it gives me a new perspective.)

To those of you who are taking the study with me on Wednesday nights, I'd love to read what you are learning and have you comment on this blog.  To those who didn't start with us on Wednesday night, but would like to join us there is room and you can still jump in.  And if you don't have time to join us for the study, but have something to share on prayer, we'd love to read your comments too.
Sole Deo Gloria!
WP Stacey

2 comments:

  1. I am posting something that I wrote to Shyla while she was in Africa.

    I have started reading this book called, "Devotion Explosion" by Christy Bower, Getting real with God. I've only read the first chapter but already I feel the impact. the first chapter is about Saul and why God turned away from him. I have wondering about that recently (I've been reading a children's bible stories book with Jack). She talks about how Saul did all his devotions and rituals out of obligations not out of desire. He did it to get ahead, to defeat his enemies, to keep God on his side. She talks about how we do the same thing when we force ourselves to spend time daily with God without the desire to. Just to keep God on our side. Of course she makes much more since than I am making, because I don't put my thoughts into words very well and I need to start school right now! One more thought, that she pointed out, is about my prayer life. When I wasn't as "knowledgeable" about my faith, I prayed a lot, more like I talked to God a lot. Then I learn there is a formula to praying. That screwed me up!! I've become so frustrated with trying to praise and thank God and ask for forgiveness, that I quit talking to Him. What better praise than just spending time talking with God, wanting just to be with Him!

    Okay, so I'm putting this out there!
    Candy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for posting this, Candy:) I think that is a common struggle. I'm tired of serving a check list too. I just want to know God!

    ReplyDelete