Sunday, May 20, 2012

Biting My Tongue


The other day I was in line at the grocery store and a little old lady and her care giver got in line behind us.  She immediately began patting my arm and speaking to me in such a friendly way that it seemed she knew me quite well.  Over her shoulder her caregiver was whispering apologies to me that the lady has Alzheimer’s and doesn’t know what she’s doing.  She was so sweet and gentle that I didn’t mind at all.  As she talked to my daughter and me for those few brief minutes, she patted our arms and actually blessed us.  I was happy for the encounter.

This gentle lady has been in my thoughts ever since.  I want to be like her.  As I have reflected on her a few things have come to mind.  First, I hope if I ever have Alzheimer’s and lose my mental capacities that I am as sweet and gentle as she.

Secondly, I was thinking about that poem, “When I am Old I Shall Wear Purple,” and it is a cute poem, but when I am old I want to be a blessing to others.  That poem is pretty self-centered, but the best old people I know are not worried about what they get to have and do but are concerned about others.  Which finally led me think..."If I want to be these things when I am old I had better practice them now."


Be completely humble and

gentle;

be patient,

bearing with one another in

love.
Ephesians 4:2
 

I am so thankful for my encounter with a sweet lady who has Alzheimer’s.  God has used her to remind me constantly to start practicing now.  So when my child didn’t act as quickly as I would have liked, I bit my tongue and thought of how a few more seconds won’t make a difference, but my harsh words will make the kind of difference I don’t want to make.  When the driver in front of me cut me off, I bit my tongue and decided to pray for him rather than mutter at him and store up bitterness.  I have a feeling my tongue is going to be sore, but when I am old it will be worth it.


To God be the glory,
WP Stacey

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing what a wonderful encounter, she set the example of what we all should be like.

    ReplyDelete